Sunday 2 March 2014

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas Review + Discussion

I give this book 3.5 stars!
This is the second book in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. Overall I do enjoy reading these book because the plot is always interesting and engaging, however I always feel that something is missing. Crown of Midnight is written in a very distant third person where you aren't always sure of what Celaena is thinking or how she really feels because, like at the beginning of the book, she lies to herself. 

Generally I did enjoy it and will definitely continue with the series because I am curious for how the characters wind up after their big adventure!






One thing that really bothered me about this book is that one of the characters made the mistake of not sharing important details like thE FACT THAT HER FRIEND WAS GOING TO BE KILLED. I just really hate it when characters do not communicate about these kinds of things because the likelihood is that the event is going to happen or at least try to happen. This is why I stopped liking Chaol as much as I used to (also Warner from the Shatter Me series is kind of living inside my head right now). Although I realise he did not want the King to question his loyalties but it irritates me nonetheless. 

Celaena Sardothien is an interesting character though I am not quite sure I enjoy her as a protagonist. She's badass and frankly terrifying but also closed off from the reader which is keeping me from falling into the story completely. 

Those were just the things I didn't like. Do not fear, the good bits outweighed the bad (for me)!

Plot and pacing were good, characters were three dimensional and altogether an interesting read. 


-E x

No comments:

Post a Comment